PDA

View Full Version : Downgrade runes via cube

StenchTrench
11-22-2015, 06:37 AM
Let's face it...some "high runes" on the realm aren't worth squat. I think that implementing a recipe to downgrade runes is an excellent idea.

FromTheRez
11-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Those darn Zods

StenchTrench
11-22-2015, 09:09 AM
My thoughts exactly. :D

odds
11-22-2015, 10:37 AM
I don't think it would solve the problem. It would just make runes less valuable. Part of what keeps every rune so valuable is the fact that they have to be found

LordManhammer
11-22-2015, 11:09 AM
Introducing more useful and more powerful runewords or updating the classic runewords might help.

Game
11-22-2015, 03:04 PM
Introducing more useful and more powerful runewords or updating the classic runewords might help.

Good guess! The 3.1 patch will likely include more things to do with runes, including new runewords. As of now we have no intention of downgrading runes, if we did it would have to be a 1 for 1 trade. Sorry!

Mephisto
11-22-2015, 04:36 PM
I would love to see a 1 for 1, thats means Xer can be downgraded to any single rune!

FromTheRez
11-22-2015, 05:40 PM
Low Level Runewords!

rrra
11-22-2015, 09:34 PM
On that note though, it might be cool if there were a simple recipe with zod + item that made the item indestructible or if there were a recipe to switch an item from eth to non-eth. (or vice-versa)

aolin
11-22-2015, 10:15 PM
being able to make an item eth would ruin the point of having to MF rare eth weapons like FM/heavensfury/SSSha. i'm also against downgrading runes, having a few more valuable like ber/jah/Lo makes sense because they are used in alot of sockets, not just runewords

thessarill
11-23-2015, 02:02 AM
The good news is : new runewords... wich mean other way to obtain stuff :)
I hope there'll be some specific class items, it would be awesome :)

StenchTrench
11-25-2015, 10:46 AM
It doesn't need to be a 1 for 1 downgrade. 2 for 1 works, or even using some of the lower level gem types (making them useful again). I'm all for new runewords, but I still think a downgrade recipe is worth the effort to implement. If you are willing to take the time to create new runewords, it just makes sense. IMHO the only runes that are worth any real value can be counted on like one hand? Downgrading crafting materials has worked wonders for Diablo III. Every rune doesn't have to be "found" either. I have upgraded multiple high runes via the cube. I still haven't exactly heard a valid argument as to why downgrading is a terrible idea as the value of them is pretty shot as it is considering you can vend them with gold (with zero effort as far as magic finding is concerned) and trade them. *shrug* I don't know what else to say honestly. Maybe the old childhood saying "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit", but maybe that is not taught anymore. I appreciate the fact I can still play on this server and that there is even a suggestion area on the forums.

LordManhammer
11-25-2015, 11:55 AM
Well, the scarcity and usefulness of a rune will always determine it's value. The fact that not only are Ber runes rare but they are sought after to be used in sockets and not just as currency (which increases their scarcity by removing them from circulation) means that they will be more valuable than other high runes that aren't used as often in runewords or stand alone socketing. If we were suddenly able to convert every Zod rune gathering dust in our inventory to a Ber rune, that inherent value would be a thing of the past. It would be a far better idea to increase the value of the Zod rune with a new runeword or cube recipe. That way no one feels cheated out of the wealth that they have spent time accumulating.

I also think that there really is no comparison to be made between D3 and this D2 mod in terms of an economy. Simply because D3 doesn't have one anymore.

StenchTrench
11-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Well, the scarcity and usefulness of a rune will always determine it's value. The fact that not only are Ber runes rare but they are sought after to be used in sockets and not just as currency (which increases their scarcity by removing them from circulation) means that they will be more valuable than other high runes that aren't used as often in runewords or stand alone socketing. If we were suddenly able to convert every Zod rune gathering dust in our inventory to a Ber rune, that inherent value would be a thing of the past. It would be a far better idea to increase the value of the Zod rune with a new runeword or cube recipe. That way no one feels cheated out of the wealth that they have spent time accumulating.

I also think that there really is no comparison to be made between D3 and this D2 mod in terms of an economy. Simply because D3 doesn't have one anymore.

The comparison wasn't entirely economy based. It was based upon EVERYTHING found in Diablo III being useful if it is broken down for crafting/cube recipes (there is a cube in Diablo III now) And between countess/cow runs/Hadriel and upping runes I can easily nab 2-3 Ber runes daily. I would never trade for anything that Hadriel (yup that includes MOST runes) sells, because it can just be purchased with gold which requires absolutely no farming or effort. Again...I'm not against new runewords at all or out to destroy the economy. I also wasn't suggesting that downgrading a rune should be as easy as upgrading, but that I feel the option to downgrade should still be implemented. I'm more interested in finding usefulness for something that is in all honesty useless to further enhance the overall playing experience in a positive manner.

LordManhammer
11-25-2015, 03:33 PM
Being able to buy runes with gold doesn't devalue them. It attaches value to them. Either in the form of time via the daily voting needed to earn the gold or real world money being spent. Both time and money are valuable.

I still play D3 and am aware of the cube:) However, being able to convert items into crafting materials, reroll legendaries, reroll set items into another piece of the same set, and so on and so on......those are all necessary functions of a completely self found loot system. Something that works for D3 won't necessarily work here. Nor should it. If we could all simply craft the perfect items for our toons there would be no need to trade. There are MODs for D2 that allow you to craft to your hearts content and those servers just aren't as fun to play on in my opinion. As to wether or not certain items are "useless" is all a matter of perspective. Obviously there is room for improvement when it comes to some of the lower level items but for the most part there have been and will be improvements made to almost all of the unique items and sets. I have a feeling that the guys here at Annihilus are trying to add items, functionality, and new content without changing the overall feel of the game too much.

StenchTrench
11-25-2015, 05:14 PM
"Being able to buy runes with gold doesn't devalue them."- I disagree 100%. Providing the ability to earn a high rune with a few simple clicks or using real world currency as opposed to actually farming them through countless countess or cows is a HUGE difference in time AND value. Why would I ever trade anything I own and spent a REAL amount of time getting for a high rune when players can just purchase them through a vendor? The items that hold REAL value cannot be purchased through Hadriel. And I never mentioned (nor would I condone it despite the fact that you can already DO it on this server with... again GOLD) rerolling anything when I compared DII to DII. I was talking about making materials in the game useful that are honestly not at the moment. We all can already upgrade runes without the need of using gems. That in itself has changed the "overall feel" of the game to the point of removing an annoying aspect that nobody really enjoyed doing. Nobody their right mind enjoys getting a Zod rune. No one will really trade anything for it because there isn't any wiggle room like a lower rune which can be upgraded or useful.

LordManhammer
11-25-2015, 05:28 PM
All of the items currently in circulation could potentially have been traded for using items purchased through Hadriel. Be careful now. That uber item you're looking to trade for might not have been acquired by means that stand up to your purest ideals. Beware:)

Mephisto
11-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Suggestion: a new divine gem ( one that rerolls a highrune in another highrune )

Maybe from UM +++ so it takes some risk getting a um/mal/ist/gul ^^

StenchTrench
11-25-2015, 05:48 PM
Suggestion: a new divine gem ( one that rerolls a highrune in another highrune )

Mephisto understands the direction that I was going for in regards to downgrading runes. A++ on that idea. And I don't care HOW the items that I trade for were originally aquired. I just understand the value of items that can be purchased through Hadriel vs. ones that cannot be. Someone could offer me high runes for my life/skiller grand charms and I STILL wouldn't accept them.

LordManhammer
11-25-2015, 05:56 PM

That would kill two birds with one stone:)

Dante
11-27-2015, 04:13 AM
Such a good opportunity to introduce new runewords and bring back crafting with some high rune recipes (like Zod).
Also make rare items of some use or add recipes for them as well to bring them back and solve rune problems.

StenchTrench
11-27-2015, 11:44 AM
Such a good opportunity to introduce new runewords and bring back crafting with some high rune recipes (like Zod).
Also make rare items of some use or add recipes for them as well to bring them back and solve rune problems.
There we go! This is what I'm talking about. :D Nearly every player/build having enough differences to be unique on it's own. Thumbs up. I honestly miss the days of Classic DII when rares were the most sought after items.

soulkush
12-29-2015, 09:05 PM
One idea is to sell an item in the shop that you cube with a rune to lower it. Sell it for maybe 50-100 gold to prevent excessive downgrading and a decrease of value. If 100 gold seems excessive, think about it like this; If you find a Jah, would paying 10%~ of its gold value to get a Ber you very much need, is it really so bad?

StenchTrench
12-30-2015, 09:12 AM
One idea is to sell an item in the shop that you cube with a rune to lower it. Sell it for maybe 50-100 gold to prevent excessive downgrading and a decrease of value. If 100 gold seems excessive, think about it like this; If you find a Jah, would paying 10%~ of its gold value to get a Ber you very much need, is it really so bad?

Love the ideas swarming around this topic. Let's get a downgrade implemented! :D