PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Energy Shield

LindburWolf
02-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Hello!

I would very much like to see Energy Shield, a Sorceress skill, that absorbs damage into your Mana, to be buffed!

Currently, Energy Shield Damage absorb is a bit unknown, but my primary concern, is that Resistances are not applyed until AFTER your ES absorbs the damage into your mana!

This is how it works!

Damage to ES removes 1.5x DMG as mana so, 100 DMG would be divided by ES Absorb, lets say 80%, you would take 80 DMG x1.5, to your mana, so 120 mana is removed, and you take 20 damage to your life!

For those who don't know, Telekinesis, is a hidden synergy of Energy Shield, with every level it lowers the damage to your mana! However, only Hard Points count, as you know a max level of 20, would then lower the DMG to mana to .75x!

100 x .8 = 80 x .75 = 60 DMG to Mana!

However, my primary wish, is the change of how Resistance comes into play!

If, a character gets hit with a Fire attack, Resistance comes into play, and lowers the overall damage, however if the player has Energy Shield active, the damage is spread through ES, before finally the left over, unabsorbed amount, gets effected by Resistance!

So, as before, 60 DMG to mana, would remain, 60 DMG to mana, however the left over 20 DMG to health, will then be effected by your Resistance!

I have no problems with this, on a normal basis, but when fighting Endgame enemies, such as, Knarst, and the Dreamland crew... Manaburn attacks + High strength Elemental attacks = Rip Energy Shield, thus Rip Sorcy.

Now, I don't know how Damage Reduction comes into play, if it's before or after the ES absorb, I don't know, however, I believe that if ES was changed from DMG>ES>RES to DMG>RES>ES, Sorcies would have a chance against Endgame content!

With a small change, I believe Sorcies could stand together with Javazon, in it's Dreamland Farming potential!

I would like to hear all thoughts on the subject so please post below!

P.S. - If changes to ES are too hard, you could just remove Manaburn totally! :mad:

Edit: A reason I see many classes failing in endgame content is that, many spells are not able to work with Life and Mana Steal, as other Melee based abilites do, so this whole suggestion, could be trashed in favor of a change to spells inability to steal Life or Mana!

Research
02-10-2016, 11:40 AM
no
no
no

Lucid
02-10-2016, 12:33 PM
The main problem with ES in PvE is, that theres a bug with those manaburner enemys. Its like what? 50 times higher manaabsorb than it would be mathematical? (you can google this)
That sounds like a indepth coding thing that cant be corrected that easy for sure. Otherwise blizzard/Game would have already been fixing this.

Also another reason why this spell shouldnt be changed is, that it is working pretty properly in PvP.
If you buff this spell it would be overpowered in pvp but still having the buggy issue with mana burners.

To remove manaburner affix still not solves the problem with the higher endgame...

I cant see any possible fix there

FromTheRez
02-10-2016, 01:23 PM
no
no
no

This

LindburWolf
02-10-2016, 02:14 PM
no
no
no

This

I would rather you have a constructive arguement, like Lucid had, but thanks for your opinion.

Research
02-10-2016, 03:08 PM
I would rather you have a constructive arguement, like Lucid had, but thanks for your opinion.

if alex decides to split the realm between pvm and pvp i dont really care about this change

all a sorc would have to do is slap on ga and a con ring and become completely unkillable

this realm has bmanas, every other item has extra +skills (trivial 95% es), base mana regen has been doubled for all characters,
tons of items have increased elemental damage

= 12k+ life sorc with 95 all res, 15k physical damage nova, regens 400 life per second, while still hitting 105-200/86 possibly even max block

Dante
02-10-2016, 03:45 PM
yep, can't be buffed, it is already too strong pvp. go ask Mephisto so he can show you his ES sorc...
Basically like #token said, the items here are so good and mana reg + % increased mana on everything so high. Also mana enches on top.

Try with inventory full of bmanas and you will see. For pvm though, idk, sounds like Lucid has a good point, idk about that bug though.

Btw, damage reduction is physical resistance and wont effect elemental damage at all. It is capped at 50% atm, but 1. you are a sorc and stand way back usually so you don't get meele hits that often, and 2. the cap will be raised to 75%, so if you have 75% dr this will passively buff es as well.

Game
02-10-2016, 04:35 PM
This is another issue where it is fairly weak in PvM, but very strong in PvP. We have some long term plans to combat these issues as it is a problem with multiple skills, but nothing concrete to share yet. I hope it is ready sooner rather than later.

Mephisto
02-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Just make a melee bear/wolf sorc like u know now, does awesome in pvm! fun to play! and orginal! :)

LindburWolf
02-10-2016, 07:17 PM
Alright, I now have a much better understanding of reasons why, I'm not much for PVP, and still fairly new to the realm, so I wasn't aware of all the buffs to Mana regen, I am currently attempting to make a Melee Sorc! :)