PDA

View Full Version : How do you survive Kaalut as a smiter?

StenchTrench
03-01-2016, 05:51 PM
How? It's my first smiter and he destroys me with massive poison damage.

Dante
03-01-2016, 06:27 PM
if still with 95% and lot stacked, burst him with amp before he kills you.

JohnnyScene
03-01-2016, 08:09 PM
Pretty much what Dante said if I have a good run I will kill him before he his poison or fissure kills me. It helps to have 100% crushing blow and some deadly strike. My resist are 85 all/140. Once I hit 95 I'll be using constricting ring and I won't have anymore resistance problems. I

rrra
03-01-2016, 09:07 PM
yeah using amp is the key as inject acid will mess you up regardless of resistances if you fight him long enough. You just have to kill him quickly as it is virtually impossible to sustain through inject acid.

"While you are injected by Acid you have -8000 regen, but it only lasts about a second or so. :)" -Game from a comment on the acid injector on the wiki.

Basically it proves my point. If you get "injected," you are probably going to die even with maxed resists. The ctc on acid injector suggests that "inject acid" is a curse and thus only effected by curse reduction on things like fade and cleansing aura. Confirm that with someone more knowledgable though as I am not positive on that detail. My zon that wears puris (cleansing aura) doesnt usually get affected too much by inject acid so I suspect that I am correct.

JohnnyScene
03-01-2016, 09:28 PM
What are you using to proc amp on a Smiter? Currently my setup is:
Helm Viel 2UmBer
Armor Valor Misc Hrs for resist
Wep El'Druin, The Sword Of Justice BerBerMal
Belt Scourge near perf
Shield Exile crappy base - cant find vortex
Boots Gores
Gloves Hysteria
Trinkets Wanderer,Madness(Phys), Seraph - Got Con ring when i hit 95

Lampogriz
03-01-2016, 10:01 PM
You cant survive his acid rain even with fade and cleansing, this thing is imbalanced. As said before, try to kill him fast with amp.

JohnnyScene, use hos pb rw, it's the best choice for pvm smiter.

Mephisto
03-01-2016, 10:22 PM
Sacaren's Chance got chance to cast amplify damage :)

thessarill
03-01-2016, 10:22 PM
Just throw away seraph and use saracens

LordManhammer
03-01-2016, 10:45 PM
I use a Heart of the Shadow(rune word) phase blade on my smiter which has a 10% chance to proc amp damage. Even with Life Tap, you can't heal through the poison degen.

Lucid
03-02-2016, 12:22 AM
Lifetap is bad for this boss. Change draculs out and maybe add saracens to your heart of the shadow to have a fast amp. dmg procc. This way i killed him my first times with smiter. Full dmg, no matter what. If dmg once gets high enough you wont need to switch around anymore :)

aolin
03-02-2016, 03:21 AM
stack a belt full of antidotes, easy kill

StenchTrench
03-02-2016, 05:48 AM
stack a belt full of antidotes, easy kill

oooh i like THAT idea lol.

StenchTrench
03-02-2016, 05:52 AM
Ummm....how to do you keep your life up if amp damage is procing over life tap?

acyroma
03-02-2016, 06:12 AM
You don't. The point is to have enough damage to kill him before acid inject kills you, and enough resistances/mitigation to tank his other attacks.

StenchTrench
03-02-2016, 07:17 AM
Okay..so do you guys mind posting your dreamlands smiter builds? Im currently using cow queens set, 2x cring, frostmourne with ber ber mal, exile, scourgelords girdle, divinity and atmas ammy

Lucid
03-02-2016, 07:40 AM
You should try another weapon i guess. Frostmourne dont have much +xxx damage and only the 40 cb from 2x Ber... Ita good for inferno or physical immunes but not that good vs bosses.

As a tipp: try to get an act 1 bow merc and equip him the acid injector bow. The procc removes all physical resistancea from mobs and leasts for 5 seconds. You will deal damage like crazy (much like if amp is active)

Try to get more cb and +dmg

StenchTrench
03-02-2016, 07:44 AM
You should try another weapon i guess. Frostmourne dont have much +xxx damage and only the 40 cb from 2x Ber... Ita good for inferno or physical immunes but not that good vs bosses.

As a tipp: try to get an act 1 bow merc and equip him the acid injector bow. The procc removes all physical resistancea from mobs and leasts for 5 seconds. You will deal damage like crazy (much like if amp is active)

Try to get more cb and +dmg
What does acid injector go for? I'll try out heart of the shadow as soon as I find a 3os phase blade. :D

Mephisto
03-02-2016, 08:27 AM
Most people drop the bow, so u should be able to get it free, or pay like a ~ ist if u want it fast, i guess :)
I think Frostmourne is the best weapon due to Sin Dragosa ( ur able to kill physical immunes ).

SHAMANdur
03-02-2016, 08:46 AM
A little offtopic : Imo Kaluut should be a bit nerfed in crucible, because if acid rain hits you it's impossible to survive and dying on 19lvl cost me two keyboards :D

thessarill
03-02-2016, 09:02 AM
The smiter build i used to have on dreamland :
cow set, 1 cons ring + 1 madness phys, eth frostmourne ber mal zod, divinity, exile, saracens, scourgelord.

Used to make full run in 4 min ( including mappo)

StenchTrench
03-02-2016, 09:20 AM
The smiter build i used to have on dreamland :
cow set, 1 cons ring + 1 madness phys, eth frostmourne ber mal zod, divinity, exile, saracens, scourgelord.

Used to make full run in 4 min ( including mappo)

Does eth honestly matter though? I thought that the "damage" mod mattered with smite.

Mephisto
03-02-2016, 09:35 AM
Ethereal is a wasted socket for a smiter :) Yes only the *damage mod matters!

StenchTrench
03-02-2016, 09:58 AM
Seems like acid injector did the trick :D Do poison facets work with injector and kaalut armor on a merc?

Dante
03-02-2016, 10:28 AM
Just in case you didn't know btw, java can 4/4 bosses easily, I never use smite for dreamland, I feel like java is faster.

Bursting Kaalut without dying is easy, same for mappo and sha with a bit practice.
You don't need to invest in cb and above 10k dmg is nice already.

The trick with othuyeg is to switch to Twins Anger or what that new unique javs are called and saracens. The one point in jab you have is enough and you can kill othuyeg easily without dying once in just a couple seconds.

Dunno if you prefer smiter, but mappo needs gear switch then right?

Mephisto
03-02-2016, 10:37 AM
I can run a full dl in 3 minutes with a smiter, including mappo, i think java is about the same speed, but sha can be immune to light sometimes :) with smiter u will allways be able to kill all 4, no matter the immunities

This is possible with a amp smiter running life on hit, i get 233 life on hit from enchants hence i dont need the lifetap.

StenchTrench
03-02-2016, 10:42 AM
I can run a full dl in 3 minutes with a smiter, including mappo, i think java is about the same speed, but sha can be immune to light sometimes :) with smiter u will allways be able to kill all 4, no matter the immunities

This is possible with a amp smiter running life on hit, i get 233 life on hit from enchants hence i dont need the lifetap.

So should i use something other than exile so that I am not casting life tap? And do facets improve the damage froma cid injector and kaalut armor on a merc?

Mephisto
03-02-2016, 10:46 AM
Yes try to get some life on hit enchants, and enchant ur items with that is the best option, u could also use Devil's Bargain with some nice 70~ Life on hit, including this with a prime can get u up to 125 life on hit allready!
And yes poison facets increase Kaluut's armor damage, but the curse is just a mass - repl life curse, i dont think there's any poison involved on the curse!

StenchTrench
03-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Yes try to get some life on hit enchants, and enchant ur items with that is the best option, u could also use Devil's Bargain with some nice 70~ Life on hit, including this with a prime can get u up to 125 life on hit allready!
And yes poison facets increase Kaluut's armor damage, but the curse is just a mass - repl life curse, i dont think there's any poison involved on the curse!

Ugh...if I use devil's bargain...I will lose my cow queen set bonus. Suggested gear to use with devils?

Lucid
03-02-2016, 11:17 AM
mephisto is right. The acid inject isnt affected by any +% or +dmg mod. Its a plain and simple "curse"-based spell that lowers your liferegeneration. And liferegeneration thing is put on a number that cant be changed. But its possible to lower the duration with fade for example. Cuz its curse based :)

If your merc is wearing the acid injector, the damage of the spell itself isnt soooo much... What really kicks in while this "curse" is active is the fact that it lowers the monsters physical immunity to absolute zero. You will do maximum damage for around 5 seconds. And most of the time its refreshed while its active cuz the bow-merc strafes alot :D

Since this is a curse you may not want to have lifetap ctc on some items. So switch draculs to whatever statstickgloves and change exile for zaka or something with high damage.

infos on acid injector:

http://annihilus.net/wiki_index.php?title=Acid-Injector
(the comments here are interesting)

http://annihilus.net/wiki_index.php?title=Acid-Injector
(stats of the bow on actual content)

http://annihilus.net/showthread.php?t=8375
those are the 2.3 patchnotes with the comment from alex:
• Acid Injector and it's skill Inject Acid have both been buffed. Inject Acid now lasts roughly 5 seconds (up from 2) and now also removes all of the target's Physical Resistance / DR % and lowers their armor by 100% for the duration of the curse. The Inject Acid change is retroactive and will affect existing Acid Injectors, but the bow itself has also had its stats buffed and will need to be found again.

----------------------------------

And to get back to topic:

in the character guides section in the forum (not the wiki) there are actually a few different playstyles for smiters.
One managed to make a poison based smiter with the lichking dagger :)

and @Dante im pretty sure, Frostmourne is not the best weapon to do especially dreamlands... Sindragosa procc is nice but against bosses its the best to have plain physical damage and mass CB.
For sure on inferno and plaguelands frostmourne rocks :) and if the smiter has no problems at all you can just use frostmourne all day long.

Good alternatives are the lichking dagger (but has no cb nor stops it monster regen)

or Heart of the shadow. My favorite due to amp, good +damage, good speed and good cb on it...

Mephisto
03-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Frostmourne and -150 res Conviction will deal with Mappo or immune Shaa :)
But yes a poison smiter could work good as well, its all personal preference.

Dante
03-02-2016, 01:54 PM
@Lucid: Is this acid injector curse full affecting on bosses? Never tried it on bosses.

Lucid
03-02-2016, 01:58 PM
im not sure if it works vs lichking for example. I know he is immune to curses. Probably this is the weakness of acid injector.

but vs dreamland bosses it seems to be fully effective. I kill those guys there with my summoner druid xD

edit: tryed a litte bit around in dreamlands

inject acid reduces the physical resistances of Kaluut, shaaa und othuyeg pretty well. At least it lowers it so far, that my summoner druid is able to kill one of them in the period of 3-4 injects.
(which feels pretty much, compared to what damage it does to normal hell mobs xD)

inject acid does not pierce the immunity of mappo tho... I dont know if its not able to pierce at all or if its capped in some way, like amp is (-100% physical res. max and 1/5 penalty on immunes).

would be nice to know :O

JohnnyScene
03-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Should i reroll and max out Conviction instead of Fant?

Frigide
03-02-2016, 04:23 PM
Should i reroll and max out Conviction instead of Fant?

u dont have to max out conv, just put points needed to go to -150 rez, and keep ur fanat lvl 20

thessarill
03-02-2016, 10:28 PM
-150 res fully gear. Mostly you'll need like 4 points to reach the cap wich is 25 points.

StenchTrench
03-05-2016, 05:56 AM
Still stuck on what I should use for armor. Running Knarst's Ribcage at the moment which is FINE for Dreamlands, but god awful for uber trist due to the random teleports. My current build:

Frostmourne ber ber mal
Herald Of Zak
Knarst's with 3x mark of the dragonslayer jewels
Scourgelord's Girdle
Treads of Valusia
Divinity
Devil's Bargain

Any suggestions or changes peeps?

StenchTrench
03-05-2016, 06:10 AM
In other news: I feel that an act 3 merc is better than act 1.:
Knarst's Ribcage (he doesn't die..just teleports away when hit)
Bulwark
Focus
Sss'HAA's Primordial Fang (the aura this sword gives is INSANELY good for a smiter)

Lucid
03-05-2016, 06:20 AM
as for an armor advice you can either run Enigma (i do so) but thats not the big toughness or damage. Just teleport

or a standart fortitude/CoH

or what works very good for survival is a arcaines valor

ofcourse best thing is probably full cow set :3

Frigide
03-05-2016, 06:28 AM
Still stuck on what I should use for armor. Running Knarst's Ribcage at the moment which is FINE for Dreamlands, but god awful for uber trist due to the random teleports. My current build:

Frostmourne ber ber mal
Herald Of Zak
Knarst's with 3x mark of the dragonslayer jewels
Scourgelord's Girdle
Treads of Valusia
Divinity
Devil's Bargain

Any suggestions or changes peeps?

Why dont u use odium?
Btw deadly strike and ar is useless on smiter, so drag jewel is too (maybe deadly strike works on sindragosa idk, but not on smite anyway)
these boots, why ?

StenchTrench
03-05-2016, 06:34 AM
Why dont u use odium?
Btw deadly strike and ar is useless on smiter, so drag jewel is too (maybe deadly strike works on sindragosa idk, but not on smite anyway)
these boots, why ?

Not a fan of odium. It doesn't add anything other than teleport in my honest opinion. I'll yank the dragon jewels, didn't know that CS doesn't work for smiters. I like the boots for the burst of speed and the fact that the str bonus adds damage to smite, I suppose that I can swap them out after casting it for gore riders? I was running full cow set, but kept dying because of the lack of life on hit (no pally prime charm and I'm running Devil's bargain pretty much just for the life on hit mod).

Dante
03-05-2016, 06:46 AM
Prebuff fade is a good idea, it lowers curse duration. If inject acid is a curse its duration will be reduced by a lot.

The new Guardian runeword http://annihilus.net/wiki_index.php?title=Guardian-armor is INSANE.
Really this runeword is so good and cheap to do. It has 30% cb on top :D

Also instead of zaka, if you want you max res up you could use dragonscale. Guardian and dragonscale will already bring you to 90%, with othuyeg charm and other gear easily 95% and nice stacked.

So with fade prebuff and Joes life on hit ench suggestion, should bring you to a really stable point lol

Frigide
03-05-2016, 07:14 AM
i just hate odium cause of cloak of shadow, makes it really annoying to play when it procs.
i like 15% life teleport and fade (lower curse duration, dr and all rez, and i dont like prebbuffing)

i am using this fyi (after talking to meph some times ago about life per hit enchants i remade my smiter like follows)
frostmourne (ber ber mal cb enchant + life per hit enchant)
odium 299%def 15% life/mana (2 life on hit enchants)
divine gloves (cant be frozen, +25str chants)
madness phy / cons ring/saracen
LK belt
dragon scale with life per hit enchant
death advance -20 cold and 10 dr
Devil's bargain (i need a GOOD bargain so for now i just put a -11% stats thats not too bad, and put shael +Divine rubyx2 in it)
for the reduction of stats from bargain, i put a +str/-15 %req jewel on odium and a hel (for now) in dragonscale, so i just need to get to 119 str to wear odium, then it makes me wear all rest.

using prime, belial, smite anni and +20 stat torch
i just rebuild with those items yesterday and for what i have tested, i like it
i wanna test perf loh bargain with loh chant for 110 loh + prime and other enchants, i should reach around 300 loh

StenchTrench
03-05-2016, 09:38 AM
i just hate odium cause of cloak of shadow, makes it really annoying to play when it procs.
i like 15% life teleport and fade (lower curse duration, dr and all rez, and i dont like prebbuffing)

i am using this fyi (after talking to meph some times ago about life per hit enchants i remade my smiter like follows)
frostmourne (ber ber mal cb enchant + life per hit enchant)
odium 299%def 15% life/mana (2 life on hit enchants)
divine gloves (cant be frozen, +25str chants)
madness phy / cons ring/saracen
LK belt
dragon scale with life per hit enchant
death advance -20 cold and 10 dr
Devil's bargain (i need a GOOD bargain so for now i just put a -11% stats thats not too bad, and put shael +Divine rubyx2 in it)
for the reduction of stats from bargain, i put a +str/-15 %req jewel on odium and a hel (for now) in dragonscale, so i just need to get to 119 str to wear odium, then it makes me wear all rest.

using prime, belial, smite anni and +20 stat torch
i just rebuild with those items yesterday and for what i have tested, i like it
i wanna test perf loh bargain with loh chant for 110 loh + prime and other enchants, i should reach around 300 loh

Nice build. I'm pretty sold on the cow set though. It allows me to put zero points into vitality and dex, and all of it into strength (you get 1% damage added to smite for each point in strength). I honestly just need life on hit and cb scrolls, nobody seems to ever have the damn things though.

JohnnyScene
03-06-2016, 03:40 PM
After switching to hos and getting rid of life tap from exile. I can kill the kaalut in about 1-4 seconds before he can even start his poison

PSyren
03-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Antidote potion + life tap. You're welcome.