Thread: Necromancer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gold
    Annihilus Account: Addah

@Game

Clay, Blood and Fire golems have their specialty uses but Iron golem has a contradictory/useless mechanic of high damage reduction and damage returned.

Sure it can be high damage if you invest crafted items but the damage reduction and return is almost irrelevant, the odds are it will not be attacked and you cannot control its position for better aggro because it requires an item.

If Iron golem gained an aura, (I believe Thorns is the most fitting, scaling up with each hard point or fixed at level 1) from either a sacrificed item, item on the Necromancer, or inherently on the skill, it would mean end game Summoner needs 1 golem of each type, which is an appealing idea.

- Clay golem can be the main Tank for Boss fights with slow/Crushing Blow
    - Blood golem is a support to your Summons/Party with health/regeneration, its life connection to the Summoner is naturally a cool mechanic
    - Iron golem "should" serve as a support with Thorns aura, and act as a specialty Tank against Physical damage, but since it has poor mobility its Tanking ability is extremely limited
    - Fire golem serves as the primary DPS golem, and as a specialty Tank against Fire bosses

In conclusion:
    Iron golem seems like the final step in completing Necromancer Summons

There is no value in Iron golem now because it has limited Tanking applications and has roughly 1:34 chances of being attacked physically for its %DR and returned damage to have any sort of usage

I strongly feel like it deserves Thorns aura in order to be valued, currently it doesn't work as a Tank nearly as well as Clay golem, for this reason it should act more as a support.

Quote Originally Posted by Addah View Post
    @Game

Clay, Blood and Fire golems have their specialty uses but Iron golem has a contradictory/useless mechanic of high damage reduction and damage returned.

Sure it can be high damage if you invest crafted items but the damage reduction and return is almost irrelevant, the odds are it will not be attacked and you cannot control its position for better aggro because it requires an item.

If Iron golem gained an aura, (I believe Thorns is the most fitting, scaling up with each hard point or fixed at level 1) from either a sacrificed item, item on the Necromancer, or inherently on the skill, it would mean end game Summoner needs 1 golem of each type, which is an appealing idea.

- Clay golem can be the main Tank for Boss fights with slow/Crushing Blow
    - Blood golem is a support to your Summons/Party with health/regeneration, its life connection to the Summoner is naturally a cool mechanic
    - Iron golem "should" serve as a support with Thorns aura, and act as a specialty Tank against Physical damage, but since it has poor mobility its Tanking ability is extremely limited
    - Fire golem serves as the primary DPS golem, and as a specialty Tank against Fire bosses

In conclusion:
    Iron golem seems like the final step in completing Necromancer Summons

There is no value in Iron golem now because it has limited Tanking applications and has roughly 1:34 chances of being attacked physically for its %DR and returned damage to have any sort of usage

I strongly feel like it deserves Thorns aura in order to be valued, currently it doesn't work as a Tank nearly as well as Clay golem, for this reason it should act more as a support.
    I'll have to correct you here! Iron Golem has higher threat, and is much more likely to be attacked. But you're right, it is redundant to have Thorns and DR%, I almost removed Thorns as it is useless but I left it on as homage.

Gold
    Annihilus Account: Addah

Quote Originally Posted by Game View Post
    I'll have to correct you here! Iron Golem has higher threat, and is much more likely to be attacked. But you're right, it is redundant to have Thorns and DR%, I almost removed Thorns as it is useless but I left it on as homage.

I'm not sure how threat works on Diablo 2, and I can't find anything useful about it online

Does the Iron golem still need to attack an enemy first?

Does it work on Cows for example or only Bosses?

How effective will Iron golem force an enemy to attack it in the middle of a Summoned army?

What do you think about the idea of adding even a level 1 Thorns aura to Iron golem? What adjustments could be made to the golem to justify adding the aura? (like reducing some DR)

Do you think Thorns aura would be overpowered on it?

Quote Originally Posted by acyroma View Post
    Iron golem can already get thorns aura with a sacrificed item.
    That's good to know, do you have any idea what the cheapest items with auras are or where I can find out?
    Last edited by Addah; 01-04-2017 at 02:38 PM.

User Tag List