Thread: A Few Pro-tips

Gold
    Annihilus Account: vaudeville

A Few Pro-tips

I'm sure any newer player (i.e. those that have been here for less than a month) can find the following information/experience elsewhere, but I thought it fit to share such tips any way to spark renewed interest.
    Last edited by vaudeville; 04-17-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Gold

1) Dealing with Dreamland bosses with the poison necromancer.

.I think the following could apply for "ranged" builds but such certainly goes with my experience as a poison necromancer. I'd say that such a build is in general the most effective since getting most of such equipment s fairly easy and not that expensive and yet has a lot of bang for its buck. The only hard things you'll have some trouble getting are say carrion rings or SOJs for you necromancer and the unique dagger that the Lich King drops. I mention this to give a general idea of what equipment you ought to have to get you by given the circumstances (you should certainly make sure you have belials or the cow queen set before doing the following). I could elaborate a bit further on this matter, but I'd like to jump into some tactics first.

First Kaalut. He's actually a joke if you can get him "trapped". Quotes are needed here because sometimes he just phases/walks over the stone boundary around the cathedral/cthulu lair (don't ask why it just happens though it tends to only happen when you get a bit too close). All you pretty much have to do with him is lure him to the corner opposite where you should be (may post a screen shot if necessary). There must be a wall between you two, and you ought to try to keep him barely within screen distance and simply spam maelstrom until he's dead. If you are about that distance away from him as I suggested, then you shouldn't get hurt at all by him (unless as stated he just moves right through the boundary). At around 200k dmg, this takes me 2 to 3 minutes. Not so bad I suppose considering my gear.

Next up is the snake lady. She's probably the easiest to deal with for pretty much the same reasons except now she has some minions around her, and you know what that means: corpse explosion. You want to do a similar thing that you did with kaalut but use the small stream as your "wall". Keep the enemies as far from your sight as possible. If you must get closer for whatever reason, spam maelstrom a few times and sort of strate left and right in case the boss throws some blades at your direction. Time to kill: maybe 1 to at most 3 minutes.

Mappo is where things get a bit harder especially given the area and the speed of the boss. I find that it is better to simply try to lure the boss more out in the open i.e. closer to the portal that brings you to the dreamlands. There you'll have to do a bit of a tango with mappo. Spam golems a bit, use maelstrom, and move. Spawn more golems, spit more poison, and move. Rinse and repeat. It's not a particularly appealing method, but it works. Estimated time to kill him. Maybe around 5 min (I'll do another run shortly to see).

The eyeball boss is where things get annoying fast (as of my build now anyway). He will likely take you the longest to kill. I personally would recommend avoiding to have to fight him with a poison necro unless you feel you have no choice. Better to get a friend or clan member with a zeal paladin to deal with him while you deal with the rest.
    Last edited by vaudeville; 04-17-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Gold

Exploit possibly found with mappo although the tango method is still viable. The problem is trying to explain specifically what you must do. The general idea is this: make sure Mappo is fixated on your golem but make it such that he can't kill it. Usually I find this happens when he does his bone prison thing (diablo does this as well) against your golem. This will pretty much get him stuck in a sort of loop for awhile allowing you to dish some damage.

There are two problems I'm facing with this method right now
    1) The boss acts erratically sometimes even when he gets fixated on killing your golem so be on your toes.
    2) Mind your surroundings. This is the hard part although the good thing is that there seems to be 2 locations to "trap" Mappo. These are located between two of the pair of houses where Mappo is. You want to spawn your golem away from him, but close enough to get a response from him. Afterwards, and this is the kicker, you pretty much want to try to flank him. It sounds very dangerous since you are exposed to him, but it seems interestingly effective. If you want to see this exploit in action, feel free to come spectate me.

Gold

2) Exploit find item barbarians

In particular use such against Mappo and his eyeball compatriot in the dreamlands as well as the Cow Queen. I've been also told that this can be very effective in the plaguelands and Inferno Cows, but I have yet to see any satisfying results.

Gold
    Annihilus Account: diablor

Quote Originally Posted by vaudeville View Post
    2) Exploit find item barbarians

In particular use such against Mappo and his eyeball compatriot in the dreamlands as well as the Cow Queen. I've been also told that this can be very effective in the plaguelands and Inferno Cows, but I have yet to see any satisfying results.
    Its most effective on monsters that can drop more than one item. (Cow queen, mappo, othuyeg, ssshaa serpents, stitches, plaguelands monsters, inferno monsters, other bosses) Its less effective in inferno cows since they only drop one item each. So the time spent isnt worth the potential reward. I don't have any hard evidence for this, but I seem more likely to find divine gems from stitches, cow parts from the queen and puzzle boxes and tyrael keys from horking in plaguelands than from normal drops. I havent noticed any special luck in dreamlands though. That being said, it basically gives you 1.5 drop chances per run; (about 50% hork chance) which can turn 100 othuyeg runs for a puzzle box into 67.

Gold

Quote Originally Posted by rrra View Post
    Its most effective on monsters that can drop more than one item. (Cow queen, mappo, othuyeg, ssshaa serpents, stitches, plaguelands monsters, inferno monsters, other bosses) Its less effective in inferno cows since they only drop one item each. So the time spent isnt worth the potential reward. I don't have any hard evidence for this, but I seem more likely to find divine gems from stitches, cow parts from the queen and puzzle boxes and tyrael keys from horking in plaguelands than from normal drops. I havent noticed any special luck in dreamlands though. That being said, it basically gives you 1.5 drop chances per run; (about 50% hork chance) which can turn 100 othuyeg runs for a puzzle box into 67.
    Hmm, I sort of just realized that part about getting multiple items from all of the above mentioned except inferno cows. I also have heard about find-item working very well in the plaguelands, in particular getting a puzzle box there (never heard about getting tyrael's key there that way, but it's worth a go). On the plus side, I just got the green scythe doing the above without expecting much.

Regarding evidence, I'll take your word for it. My recent experiences have confirmed part of what you mentioned. I got a divine gem and gul rune from Mappo recently. I'll try it out on Stitches eventually and add him to the list.

User Tag List