Now look, this is just purely my suggestion and what I came up with at 1am hyped up on monster, so forgive me if I leave out details.

First off, we don't need this feature. We have a perfectly stable economy without it. However, if this were to be added it would HAVE to be a secondary gold (i.e. platinum). I understand that it's buggy at the moment, but if it matters enough it will be fixed. Here's how to prevent an implosion to the economy at the start of a ladder.

Set a limit to the amount of platinum allowed to be purchased.

At first this seems like a, "wait, how will I be able to keep donating to the server after I hit the mark?" but you can just buy non tradeable gold. I'd say a good limit is 50k. This keeps people from blowing 100s of USD and instantly buying everything they want early (i.e. book of abyss and a full set of endgame gear) upon a ladder reset. I'd also consider completely removing the option for the first week or so of the ladder, similar to how Hadriel works. You could potentially have 1m tradeable gold, but it would all have to be obtained in the same ladder.

Make tradeable gold NON-TRADEABLE at the end of a ladder

This also disables players from stockpiling gold for the next ladder. Of course, they can go donate that 50k again but that also gives you, vav, more money and that is a trade off I'd be willing to make as long as the server prospered from it. Yes, it does mean you will have a shitton of non tradeable gold but it also means that hey, you can go blow 100k gold from last ladder on rerolls this ladder to ensure you have perfect/near perfect gear. It's a benefit as well as a detriment and doesn't make the current gold system useless. It also allows for the voting system to stay in place.

All in all, I think allowing stockpiled gold to be traded is absurd when it was told that it would not happen. Everyone would have stockpiled if that were the case from the start. However, times have changed and now the people want tradeable gold. I say make them wait for a solid platinum system. We've gotten along this far, we can wait for that too. Otherwise you should throw out the idea entirely. The backlash you would get from allow stockpiling gold to be traded would be very detrimental to the server as a whole, as some will boycott donating entirely or just quit all together. The community is all up in arms right now, and I'm trying to find a peaceful solution to the problem of wanting tradeable gold without ruining the economy as a whole.