Thread: Endgame difficulty curve.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gold
    Annihilus Account: vaudeville

Endgame difficulty curve.

So let's get a few things out of the way.

1) Please refer to my Item drops post as the following is somewhat related to that subject.

2) I've probably been on here for a strong 2 weeks, and I have all but 1 torch for each character type and, through the graces of other players willing to accept not much (in my opinion) with special deals, have obtained a good number rare and necessary items (i.e. special charms, torches, etc.) all certain characters/builds should have.

3) Excepting my new poison necro, none of my characters can break 20k damage which is barely tolerable to deal with inferno cows (and most of them have torches, annihilus charms, particular set piece items, maxed skill levels, and so forth).

That said I pretty much still can't even touch the end game content material. Even inferno cows is too much or is a very slow grind with my best characters, and I blame part of this both on the overall endgame difficulty curve and item drops. Either way you look at it (item drops vs. overall endgame enemies) is absurd as it stands especially for newer players. The gulf between simply fighting baal or diablo one on one in the hardest difficult or doing cows in the same difficulty is a chasm when doing inferno cows and is even worse with the dreamland bosses, knarst, the lich king, the pits, and lvl 15 and up in the crucible for newer players (I want to emphasize the word NEWER players for you older players that will likely read this post).

At the very least, I would recommend the following course of action that should help newer players pick up the pace.

1) Make getting torches and annihilus (don't get me started with either topic please) charms easier to obtain in particular getting the keys to unlock such (upon consideration, perhaps you ought to consider making the item drops doing "uber runs" more worthwhile as well say for example you can more likely get the blue organ set there or runes such as mal, ist, and ohm).

2) Increase the item drop rate for all runes in general but making ber and up the hardest to get at inferno cows and the "uber" places or even the pits (I leave it to the makers to do this in all places or with act bosses). I think this should be done for the added reason that I find too often that older players tend to pretty much only go and rush the cow queen only and take her treasures. Afterwards, they either leave immediately or go afk for all practical purposes. Very few stay behind and seriously play which almost always leaves less experienced and less well equipped players who happened to come by to lvl up a bit and get new equipment hung to dry which is absurd especially since there is a good chance to still get good items (even for older players such as a facet and enchantment scrolls).

3) Increase the item drop rate for "lower run" enchantment scrolls like increasing one's health or reducing damage (essentially anything but increase elemental damage, add skill points, splash damage, etc.). This ought to help newer players a lot to get by inferno cows and up to the dreamlands and pits.

4) Make one of the endgame content easier (not in terms of item drops but in enemy health, number, and damage).

The point here is to provide an actual curve for new players and not force them to grind ad nauseum with little to look forward to which is thus far where I'm at still.

PS: I'm willing to hear actual coaching on what I'm doing wrong with certain builds and characters (which I'm sure I'm doing in certain cases). If you want to do this, please do so while I'm playing and mention that you read this post.
    Last edited by vaudeville; 04-09-2016 at 02:07 PM.

User Tag List